So, we had our first test of Block II last week. I think I got, like, an 89% so I was pretty happy. Even better though, is that our clinicals this semseter are at the hospital (Scottsdale Osborn) instead of the nursing home (where we were ALL last semester)!!! The nurses are so nice and helpful...they actually like being paired with students! The doctors are a trip, but it's cool because they will teach you things if you look like you want to learn (even if what they're saying flies right over your head!) Anyways, I started my first IV on a REAL PERSON yesterday! It was pretty cool (maybe not for the patient...lol). I also watched one of the doctors suture a fasciotomy wound. I have met some of the most amazing girls in my class. It's nice to be surrounded with hard-working, motivated people who are just genuinely your friend and care about helping each other through this experience. We even have a little study group that meets at Barnes and Noble on Sundays to go through NCLEX questions...I'm a nerd, I know. I am just so excited that I found what I love! We gave a patient a bed bath yesterday and he told us that we made his day. Just simple things like that mean a lot. I hope I never lose that outlook on it.



In other news, the Level 4 girls that I coach won the Hard Rock meet at University of Phoenix Stadium last week. They won a Fender electric guitar and $100! I have never seen a more excited group of dads afterwards...so fun. Their next meet is the Sun Devil Classic with the new Level 4's (who just started competing this season). It will be their last meet at Level 4...good for them because they have been itching to go full-force training Level 5.
Things with Steve have been going good. He has been really busy with work, even though he hasn't been sleeping. His doctor put him on Cymbalta (which doesn't take effect for a few weeks, but he swore he felt happier the day after he took it...whatever). I can't even imagine what it feels like not to sleep...awful. So he's been pretty crabby the last few weeks, but we'll see how the new medication works. He was also prescribed 30 Ambien (again!), which is weird to me because you're only supposed to take it for 7-10 days. But what do I know...I'm just in nursing school...
Your blog is so cutsie! I love the meet pics. Maybe if my girls would have won like yours I could have some cute pics also. Ah ha ha ha ha! Love it!
ReplyDeleteMaryn!!! Your a blogger!!! You need to come over and see my new house and see Jane and Kate! Congrats to your girls for winning Hard Rock! That's awesome!!
ReplyDeleteMarJEEE! I love your blog! I'm so happy you love what you're doing...that's great! Maybe someday we'll both work in the same hospital!
ReplyDeleteKari